Avocado, what a novelty!
Curiosities, conservation and delicacies
By Federica Galli
The avocado is a very popular fruit. It has many properties and benefits, but how do we eat it and consume it to get the most out of it?
Did you know that…
The avocado is a tropical fruit from Central America, which is widely used in their cuisine, compared to Italian cuisine. The term avocado comes from the Spanish word ‘aguacate’ which means ‘testicle’, as it is born and grows in pairs. The avocado is a very energetic fruit, as it is rich in natural fats, which allow the absorption of the vitamins it contains.
How to choose an avocado?
Is it too ripe, can I eat it or should I wait? Isn’t it a bit too green to eat? You must have asked yourself these questions at least once, right?
Here is a simple vademecum:
- ACERBO: when the avocado is bright green and firm to the touch. In this case, it is better to wait another day before using it.
- ALMOST ripe: when the avocado is a darker green, it is best to wait another day.
- MATURE: When the skin of the avocado is slightly soft. The colour will be a dark green to brown. In this case, it is ready to be eaten!
- TOO SOFT: when the avocado is too soft, its colour is dark brown, in which case it must be eaten!
How is it stored?
When we buy avocados they are not always ready to use, so here are some simple tricks to help you enjoy a great avocado in the correct time:
- To delay ripening, store the avocado in the refrigerator away from the cold side;
- Leave the avocados at room temperature to ripen;
- To speed up ripening, wrap the avocado in paper and place it in a paper bag together with an apple or banana.
How to use avocados?
For some families, the avocado has become an indispensable fruit in their kitchens. Its pulp can be used as:
- Butter substitute for lighter and healthier dishes
- The guacamole sauce, whose main ingredient is avocado: To prepare it, cut the avocado into cubes and mash it with a fork. Add the lime juice and a tablespoon of oil (optional). Finally, cherry tomatoes, onions and chilli peppers can be added.
- Avocado toast: To prepare, cut the avocado into cubes, then mash it with a fork. Finally, add the avocado sauce on a slice of toast.
There are many recipes with avocados, so what are you waiting for to create a dish with avocados?